Monday 30 May 2011

An Update. Of Sorts ...

I haven't blogged in a while and that is primarily because I have had little to blog about and I have also been dealing with a medical issue or two which is not necessarily what people wish to read about. Suffice to say that, as you should know, I have the condition fibromyalgia which affects my life in various ways; and never in a good way.

Anyway ...
As my readers will know I have an enduring passion for theatre and music which inevitably produces a love of musical theatre. Now I don't like everything and I much prefer intelligent works over dross (and there is much of that out there!). Likewise I enjoy productions that push boundaries, that take a risk and have something to say. That is not to say that I don't enjoy works that are unashamed entertainment but I am not a big fan of some of the older musicals. By modern standards they are tame, dated and, to my mind, often unexciting.

I am always exploring new works and discovering older, under-appreciated, ones and to that end I just want to make everyone aware of the ill-fated musical version of Stephen King's 'Carrie'.


There are various websites that describe in detail the torrid history of the production which has various flaws against it but also numerous things that make it stand out. Perhaps it was ahead of its time in what it was trying to achieve effect-wise but it certainly has, at its heart, a tragic story which deserves telling upon the stage.
The writers of the stage show are currently reworking it with hopes for a future staging. And I hope that happens as the musical, even in its flawed state, has much to recommend it from some of the musical composition, to some of its original staging and of course the tragedy of Carrie herself.


Originally co-produced by the Royal Shakespeare Company (which received much flak for doing so) the central story must have appealed to artistic director Terry Hands as much as a great Shakespeare or Greek tragedy would. In many ways it is an age old story retold in a modern way.

So I hope the musical, which has achieved cult status, is able to be reworked and revived in a successful staging that it so deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment